- Total Recipe Time: On High Setting: 6-1/2 hours; On Low Setting 9-1/2 hours
- Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck or round, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) chili-style tomato sauce with diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup prepared thick-and-chunky salsa
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, diced red onion, diced green onion, diced avocado and dairy sour cream
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHILLY DAY BEEF CHILI
- Combine all ingredients except salsa and toppings in 4-1/2 to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker; mix well. Cover and cook on HIGH 5-1/2 to 6 hours, or on LOW 8 to 9 hours, or until beef is tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.)
- Just before serving, stir in salsa; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Serve with toppings.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION FOR CHILLY DAY BEEF CHILI
Nutrition information per serving: 404 calories; 12 g fat; 91 mg cholesterol; 710 mg sodium; 32 g carbohydrate; 42 g protein; 6.0 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 2.8 mcg vitamin B12; 6.2 mg iron; 8.7 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron and zinc.